We are looking to recruit an experienced Design Engineer to work as part of a small specialist team responsible for completing design work and producing 2D & 3D designs for in house Production Engineering, Manufacturing and subcontract suppliers. Designs will allow efficient manufacturing of wind tunnel models, components, sub-assemblies and associated rigs. Design involves carrying out load calculations to determine stresses, informing material types, as well as considering requirements for instrumentation and pressure plotting. Full consideration must be afforded to Design for Manufacture (D4M) and Design for Test (D4T), thereby optimising project schedules.
1 Carry out design activities under the direction of a Senior Design Engineer and the Team Leader, working within budget and to schedule.
2 Assign Drawing Numbers (D Numbers) and Assembly Numbers (A Numbers) to parts within scope of allocated work, using 4C software.
3 Update Project Parts Lists with status of design/drawing issue numbers and dates.
4 Carry out load/stressing calculations as required, and advise on material types/sizes.
5 Maintain a close working relationship with the Project Manager and all other
key stakeholders within the project, regarding the status of design activity.
6 Attend and contribute to Project Launch Meetings, Engineering Reviews (PDR/CDR) and Project Wash-up meetings (Lessons Learned).
7 Identify and implement continuous improvement initiatives within D&M.
Essential Skills and Qualifications
• HNC/D, degree or equivalent vocational experience in a mechanical engineering/design related subject, together with relevant work experience.
• Demonstrable experience of using CATIA V5.
• Highly experienced in mechanical design.
• Experience of carrying out stressing using Finite Element Analysis (FEA) and hand calculations.
• Excellent IT skills.
Desirable Skills and knowledge
• Proven experience in the production of 2D tolerance drawings.
• Work experience relating to aerospace/aerodynamic testing and/or wind tunnel modelling.
• Good knowledge of equivalent high precision, scaled, wind tunnel models.
• Working understanding of manufacturing workshop processes and workflow.
• Sound understanding and experience of delivering Continuous Improvement and influencing change.
• Experience of project management methodologies and tools.
• Experience of 5S and lean manufacturing processes.
• Good working knowledge of MRP systems.
• Ability to work and forge relationships with team members, colleagues, customer and suppliers.
• Ability to work under pressure and drive own and others results.
• Flexible to recognise and respond to changing work load or priorities and to develop and implement work around solutions and structured problem solving.
• Highly organised with excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Innovative in seeking improvement.
• Drive and commitment to improve own skills, and be receptive to new ideas and ways of working
Hours of work will be 38 hours per week, Monday-Friday.
The successful candidate must satisfy security clearance requirements – including the last 5 years continual UK residency.
This is an exciting opportunity for the right person to be part of a successful and professional team operating in a world-class facility.
The position offers a competitive salary, a comprehensive benefits package and the opportunity to join a successful and ambitious company.
To apply please send your CV with a covering letter giving your current salary/requirements and outlining your suitability for this role to email@example.com.
Aircraft Research Association Ltd is proud to be an Equal Opportunities Employer