We are looking to recruit a Handyperson to maintain ARA buildings by carrying out domestic and industrial maintenance tasks using for example carpentry, plumbing, plastering and/or painting skills. You will also maintain the ARA ten-acre site by carrying out groundsman duties and maintenance of drains and road infrastructure.
The main duties will include:
• Maintaining/enhancing the internal aspects of ARA building infrastructure by carrying out essential (localised) building maintenance i.e. plastering, painting.
• Undertaking carpentry related tasks such as repair and installation of doors, skirting etc. on an as required basis.
• Ensuring the availability of essential facilities such as kitchens and toilets by undertaking repairs on an as required basis – including undertaking plumbing related tasks to maintain operational aspects of water supply and sewerage.
• Maintaining ARA external site through undertaking groundsman type activities such as grass cutting and tree, shrub and hedge pruning during the growing season (nominally March to October).
• Undertaking minor general maintenance/repair of building exteriors
• Maintaining the integrity of the site perimeter fence conducting regular inspections and implementing repair on an as required basis.
• Maintaining markings to site road infrastructure and carparks. Carry out repairs as necessary to address localised pot-holes.
• Maintaining French drains and clean as required to maintain adequate drainage.
• During heavy frost or ice, deploying salt etc. in areas of high risk to employees and visitors to site.
Other duties will include:
• Maximising the efficiency and effectiveness of maintenance activities within Engineering Services.
• Making recommendations for process improvements and equipment enhancements.
• Maintaining and/or improve environmental aspects of ARA operations.
• Observing ARA Quality Standards and Health and Safety Procedures.
• Working shift, as necessary, to support operational aspects of ARA TWT operations.
• Working at Height and in Confined Spaces.
• As required, support planned maintenance of the TWT i.e. pond drain and bullets maintenance tasks.
The successful applicant will:
• Be experienced in the general maintenance of buildings.
• Have a reasonable understanding of legislation related to industrial buildings i.e. fire regulations.
• Have had formal training in building maintenance (shop fitting/kitchen fitting) ideally covering plastering, plumbing, carpentry, painting. Post training “on-the-job” experience is essential.
• Hold an NVQ Level 2 or above in subject matter relevant to building maintenance.
Hours of work will be 38 hours per week, Monday-Friday. However, when business conditions dictate, you will be expected to work on shifts.
The successful candidate must satisfy security clearance requirements – including the last 5 years continual UK residency.
This is an exciting opportunity for the right person to be part of a successful and professional team operating in a world-class facility.
The position offers a competitive salary, a comprehensive benefits package and the opportunity to join a successful and ambitious company.
To apply please send your CV with a covering letter giving your current salary/requirements and outlining your suitability for this role to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Aircraft Research Association Ltd is proud to be an Equal Opportunities Employer