We are looking to recruit a highly competent Metal Model Maker/Fitter to work as part of an integrated Design and Manufacture team actively contributing in the hand working, fitting and assembling of wind tunnel model components, ensuring work is produced to time and budget within the job requirements and company standards and to enhance delivery in accordance with project manufacturing schedule.
• Carry out all aspects of fitting activity (hand working surfaces to remove machine marks, blending component joint lines to remove steps/gaps, fitting precision components and assembling models, installing pressure tubing) as directed by the Fitting Section Team Lead and/or Leading Hand.
• Monitor the serviceability of Fitting Section machines, equipment and tooling, and report potential problems to the Fitting Section Team Lead.
• Support on the job training and guide/coach less experienced staff working in the Fitting Section.
• When on shifts, ensure a safe and timely handover of the work in progress to the incoming shift and Team Leader, ensuring that adequate notes and technical advice are available.
• Make recommendations for process improvements in Fitting techniques, where appropriate, to the Fitting Section Team Leader.
• A team player, confident and capable of mentoring and coaching less experienced staff.
• A flexible and positive attitude, willing to go the extra mile to ensure that project manufacturing schedules are met or exceeded.
• Loyal, able to trust and directly support direct supervisors and line management.
• Attention to detail, in terms of quality of work produced and adherence to project schedules.
• Drive and commitment to improve own skills, and be receptive to new ideas and ways of working,
• Have a “Can-Do” attitude to overcoming technical problems as soon as they arise.
The ideal applicant will have a time served apprenticeship and/or demonstrable experience of high-precision bench fitting.
A solid understanding (at least foundation level) of other skills such as EDM wiring and plunge, turning, jig boring, grinding and CNC machining will be extremely advantageous, to assist in other sections of the workshop when necessary.
The successful candidate must satisfy security clearance requirements – including the last 5 years continual UK residency.
This is an exciting opportunity for the right person to be part of a successful and established precision manufacturing team operating in a world-class facility. In return, we offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
We offer competitive salaries for a basic 38 hour working week, with an aim to attract talented people with the skills and enthusiasm to help us succeed. Future salary growth is linked to performance and contribution. Generous shift and overtime premiums are offered when required.
• Pension & Life Assurance
Company matched contributions to a nominated personal pension scheme. Life assurance cover from first day of employment.
• Private Medical Insurance
Free to all employees and cover can be extended to family.
26 days annual leave, increasing to 29 days with longer service; in addition to Bank/Public Holidays.
• Car Parking
There is ample free, and secure, car parking on site.
To apply for the above position please send your CV with a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Aircraft Research Association Ltd is proud to be an Equal Opportunities Employer