We are looking to recruit an experienced Project Manager with commercial acumen and excellent problem solving capabilities to lead the successful delivery of projects in close cooperation with the project technical managers. Reporting to the Head of Project Management, the successful candidate must have a track record of delivering multiple technical projects simultaneously and within demanding constraints in a project-based technical environment - preferably with a research and development aspect. It must be a project manager used to working under pressure with excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Main duties and responsibilities include:
• Take full ownership of the project management assignments from bid to closure.
• Lead the project team to a successful project outcome, ensuring business’ objectives and deadlines are met and within budget.
• Act as the first point of contact with clients and be accountable for delivering all project related products to the required standard on time and within budget.
• Lead and support the preparation of bids, with the input of the technical managers including: estimating; risk management; planning and presentation of the business proposals to the clients.
• Lead the project change management process working with the project team and the client to effectively manage changes to requirements, timescales and associated costs while protecting ARA’s commercial interests.
• Manage ARA’s resources effectively in order to ensure the successful delivery of the project.
• Support effective cash flow management with the input of the procurement and finance teams.
• Prepare and present regular project status reports to stakeholders, senior management and clients - highlighting issues with potential breaches and offering effective solutions to overcome them.
• Work in a safe and professional manner and in full compliance with UK law and (where applicable) that of other countries, and in compliance with ARA Health and Safety procedures, ARA Quality standards and procedures, and ARA Security policies and procedures and (where applicable) those of ARA’s business partners.
• Organise the preparation of the commercial and technical proposals with support from technical experts - ensuring that key assumptions and risks are made clear and that ARA’s commercial interests are protected.
• Support negotiations with customers (working with ARA’s leadership team and technical experts) and suppliers (working with ARA’s procurement team and technical experts).
• Be able to manage international customers from different cultural backgrounds as well as diverse and demanding internal stakeholders.
Essential skills and qualifications:
• University honours degree in a STEM/technically related discipline.
• A project management qualification and experience of project management methodologies and tools.
• Excellent spoken and written English.
• Proven experience of project leadership, ensuring that communications with colleagues, customers and suppliers are clear and consistent.
• Ability to understand customer requirements from a statement of work and prepare a product breakdown structure and resource estimate.
• Proven experience preparing a bid pack and supporting documentation including pricing estimate(s) and risk and opportunity register(s).
In addition the successful candidate must demonstrate the following personal attributes:
• Imaginative and creative with good problem solving skills.
• Competent in making critical decisions promptly.
• Readily adaptable to rapidly changing circumstances.
• Have a collaborative approach to problem solving with ability to influence.
• Confident and self-motivated
• Well organised
• Flexible - occasional international travel and out of hours working required
This is an exciting opportunity for the right person to be part of a successful and established team operating in a world-class facility. In return, we offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
We offer competitive salaries for a basic 38 hour working week, with an aim to attract talented people with the skills and enthusiasm to help us succeed. Future salary growth is linked to performance and contribution.
• Pension & Life Assurance
Company matched contributions to a nominated personal pension scheme. Life assurance cover from first day of employment.
• Private Medical Insurance
Free to all employees and cover can be extended to family.
26 days annual leave, increasing to 29 days with longer service; in addition to Bank/Public Holidays.
• Car Parking
There is ample free, and secure, car parking on site.
The successful candidate must satisfy security clearance requirements, including 5 years continuous UK residency.
To apply please send your CV with a covering letter to email@example.com
Aircraft Research Association Ltd is proud to be an Equal Opportunities Employer