We are looking to recruit a Senior Design Engineer to provide effective support to the overall Design and Manufacture team. Reporting to the Design Team Leader, the successful candidate must be an experienced individual used to working under pressure and have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Key purpose of the role:
• Be responsible for completing design work and producing 2D and 3D designs.
• Allow efficient manufacturing of wind tunnel components, sub-assemblies and associated rigs.
• Carry out load calculations to determine stresses, informing material types, as well as considering requirements for instrumentation and pressure plotting.
• Afford full consideration to Design Manufacture (D4M) and Design for Test (D4T), thereby optimizing project schedules.
Main duties and responsibilities include:
• Carry out design activities with minimal supervision working within budget and to project schedule.
• Assign drawing numbers (D numbers) and assembly numbers (A numbers) to parts within scope of allocated work, using 4C software.
• Update project parts with status of design/drawing issue numbers and dates.
• Carry out load/stressing calculations as required, and advise on material types/sizes.
• Maintain a close relationship with the Project Manager and all other key stakeholders within the project regarding the status of the design activity.
• Attend and contribute to project launch meetings, engineering reviews (PDR/CDR) and project wash-up meetings.
• Ensure that the minimum direct (project) booking requirement is achieved using correct project and sub-assembly booking codes for work completed.
• Identify and implement continuous improvement initiatives with D&M.
• Observe ARA Quality Standards and Health and Safety procedures.
• Carry out any other duties which may be required in order to facilitate the efficient and effective running of the business unit, as requested by the Head of D&M.
Essential skills and qualifications:
• HND or equivalent in technical discipline.
• Extensive experience of design and the use of CATIA V5 and production of 2D tolerance drawings within a project based environment.
• Solid knowledge of ARA’s product or equivalent high precision scaled wind tunnel models.
• Sound understanding on MMC disciplines and workflow parts through the MMC and of delivering Continuous Improvement and influencing change.
• Experience of project management methodologies and tools.
• Experience of 5S and lean manufacturing processes.
• Good working knowledge of MRP systems.
In addition the successful candidate must demonstrate the following personal attributes:
• Ability to work and forge strong working relationships with team members, colleagues, customers and suppliers.
• Ability to work under pressure and drive own and teams’ results.
• Flexible to recognize and respond to changing work load or priorities and to develop and implement work around solutions.
• Must be strategic and a problem solver.
• IT literate.
• Highly organized.
• Innovative in seeking improvement.
• Loyal, able to trust and support direct supervisors and line management.
• Driven and committed to improve own skills and be receptive to new ideas and ways of working.
This is an exciting opportunity for the right person to be part of a successful and established team operating in a world-class facility. In return, we offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
We offer competitive salaries for a basic 38 hour working week, with an aim to attract talented people with the skills and enthusiasm to help us succeed. Future salary growth is linked to performance and contribution.
• Pension & Life Assurance
Company matched contributions to a nominated personal pension scheme. Life assurance cover from first day of employment.
• Private Medical Insurance
Free to all employees and cover can be extended to family.
26 days annual leave, increasing to 29 days with longer service; in addition to Bank/Public Holidays.
• Car Parking
There is ample free, and secure, car parking on site.
The successful candidate must satisfy security clearance requirements, including 5 years continuous UK residency.
To apply please send your CV with a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Aircraft Research Association Ltd is proud to be an Equal Opportunities Employer